Knowing what to expect on the day of your hair transplant is important as it can prevent you from worrying and help you to stay calm during the procedure.
Before the Procedure
- You will be spending a long time at the clinic during your hair transplant it is important to ensure you bring everything you’ll need and to leave the whole day free if possible.
- You should wear loose, comfortable clothes with wide necks or buttons so that they will be easy to remove without touching your head at the end of the day.
The Hair Transplant Procedure
- Hair transplants are usually performed with just a local anesthetic in the donor and recipient areas. The anesthetic will numb these areas so that you don’t feel anything during the procedure, but you will remain awake throughout the hair transplant.
- In some cases, the doctor may recommend a sedative to help you to relax during certain procedures such as an eyebrow transplant. If you are sedated then you will doze through most of the procedure. If you are awake then you will be able to talk to the doctor, read, use your phone or listen to music to pass the time.
- Once the local anesthetic has taken effect, the procedure will begin. Depending on the type of hair transplant that is being performed, the doctor will either take a strip of hair from the back of the head or remove individual follicular units from the donor area. A needle will be used to make incisions in the recipient area and the donor follicles will be implanted.
How Long Will It Take?
- The length of the procedure will depend on the technique being used and the number of follicles that need to be transplanted.
- A hair transplant can take several hours, but the doctor will inform you of the expected duration when you arrange the procedure so that you know how long you will be at the clinic.
- In some cases you may need multiple treatment sessions to cover the entire area. You will be able to take a bathroom break or get up to move around a little if you need to during a long treatment session.
After the Hair Transplant
- When the hair transplant is complete, you will be able to go home as soon as you feel ready. You may experience some discomfort or tightness, but this should start to go away within a couple of hours.
- Some swelling and redness is normal for a few days and there will be a scab along your hairline at the back of your head if you had the FUT procedure.
- You will need to keep your head dry until the surgical incision heals and your doctor will provide detailed aftercare instructions.
- You should be able to go about most of your usual activities right away, but you may want to take some time off to recover especially if you feel self-conscious while you are healing.
If you have any questions about what to expect then you should get in touch or ask your doctor when you arrive at the clinic.